Mcdavitt Township was organized on March 26, 1894. Originally it was called, McDevitt, how it was changed to McDavitt no one knows. John McDevitt was a logger in the area during the organization of the township. In 1917, John McDevitt moved to Cloquet where he served as Mayor for a number of years. His family still lives in the Cloquet area.
The St. Louis River looms large in the township. Approximately 31 miles ﬂow from the northeast to southwest. It provides many people with activites such as ﬁshing, canoeing, swimming, and snowmobiling.
Eveleth Taconite Company located here in 1965. A taconite plant, that many area residents were employed. It is now owned by Cleveland Cliffs.
The Township has a recreation area that provide activities for area residents. The Cherry High School girls use the softball ﬁelds for their games. They have been to the State Softball tournament 7 straight years. There are hockey rinks that are used every day during the winter. Sliding hills and cross country ski trails are another winter activity where people enjoy. Church groups, birthday parties, 4-H groups, are just a few of the groups that come and enjoy our township.